Saturday, February 18, 2012

WHITNEY

I had no intention of posting anything about Whitney Houston or her death, except to cite as the source of Tony Bennett's inspiration. After viewing the memorial service, I must. When I initially saw the headline on Yahoo about Whitney's death, I didn't believe it. I turned on the tv and CNN confirmed her passing. In a week's time, there has been so much speculation regarding the cause of her death. However, I love the fact that the memories of her music, movies, and milestones have overshadowed everything else. Regardless of how her body left this world, the legacy that she leaves behind is unmatched and will forever remain. To this day, I absolutely HAVE to have my Whitney's Greatest Hits cd ON MY COMPUTER AT WORK. I've been laughed at & told to put it on my ipod or phone. But I still prefer to copy the cd. I have no idea how many computers I've introduced to Whitney, definitely over 10.

In the end, Whitney Houston's personal struggles hold no precedence over her accomplishments. I won't say her "professional" accomplishments because it's clear to me that what we saw was a huge part of her life. Her bodyguard Ray was painfully honest in stating that celebrities give us their lives. Some can argue that we don't ask them to give their lives. True. But much is expected and demand. Not everyone can deliver. Nonetheless, Whitney delivered.

Does it even make sense to mention her accolades, awards, and excellence? For me, no. I will, however, mention one of the realest women to transcend Hollywood. Whitney was not ashamed to give anyone their props but she was aware of her own talent in comparison. Does anyone recall when Christin Aguilera sang "Run to You" during a Whitney tribute and Whitney took the stage to say "that was best rendition of Run to You I've ever heard, BESIDES MYSELF... That was a hilariously priceless moment for me. Homegirl Houston. Screw the Grammy's, AMA's, Billboards, and everyone on the other end of the microscope!She touched so many people in so many different ways. She let it be known throughout all of her trials that God and her family came first. I began to tear up while watching an interview in which Whitney thanked her mother for her love and support & expressed her gratitude. She also presented no delusions about her drug use. For that, she truly earned my respect.

I could not hold it together during several moments of the memorial service. I was completely overwhelmed at the end. After hearing so many people speak on Whitney's impact on their lives and seeing her exit the church followed by her family while "I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU" played, I fell apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment