Tuesday, November 15, 2011

If You Don't Know Me By Now, We May Have Something in Common

In a brief 15 min break today, I began to think of how well the average person really knows him/herself. Naturally, I turned the tables on myself and thought of how well I know me. In a recent hilariously heated conversation, I was asked "damn, do you ever say anything you don't really mean?" Heated because the inquisitor was serious. Hilarious because the inquisitor was DEAD serious & somehow convinced that I haven't changed in a damn decade. I started to think of how often I say things that I don't mean. Initially I came up with never. After thinking a minute, I realized that it's relative based on the context. I decided to ask a friend, whom I used to depend on to break the monotony of my day, but I didn't get much of a response. Nevertheless, I realize that I'm not as accommodating as I once was. I don't believe that I've changed at my core. Rather, I'm more closely in sync with it. But those I've known at length, definitely see it as a change. I will admit that I sometimes surprise myself with how detached I can be. It's never intentional but I'm more than sure others will beg to differ. I used to love to talk talk talk talk talk like it was an Olympic sport. Now, not so much...especially, in regards to my own shit. I just don't prefer to do it anymore because it's never-ending and will lead to questions on top of questions on top of questions. Had anyone told me this a decade ago, I wouldn't have believed it. So who knows? THEN me doesn't know NOW me. It'll be the same when NOW me becomes THEN me.

No comments:

Post a Comment